Wednesday, November 19, 2008

st. patty's day came late this year

Shamrocks. Spinach. Cash. Grass. Trees. Granny Smith apples. Emeralds. NyQuil. Envy...
...and my baby's poo...
All lovely shades of green!

Yes, for the past 72 hours, Maya's poo has been the colour and consistency of *ahem*
pesto. TMI? I have no doubt.

A lengthy internet search and a call to the 24-hour nurse's hotline resulted in the following information:

Green baby poo in an EBF (exclusively breast-fed) baby is either caused by:
1. A foremilk/hindmilk imbalance
2. An allergy or reaction to something in the mother's diet
3. A virus

I'm also informed that green poo is not *usually* something to be concerned about unless that kiddo is showing other signs of illness as well.

I'm really not sure what to think. At 12 weeks, an milk imbalance would be unusual, I think. But who knows? Also, I have been seriously GOING TO TOWN on the chocolate lately. Can that cause it? Oh I hope it's not a virus; luckily baby girl is showing no other signs of feeling sick, and seems like her normal self. No fever, no vomiting. She has been quite gassy over the last couple of days and that has made her a bit cranky...she did cry a bit from gas pain earlier...but she does do that from time to time...

I let her really drain both breasts tonight so I'm hoping that maybe that'll fix things. Shall I keep you all posted? I know you're all at the edge of your seats, waiting with bated breath for the next installment of "Maya: The Poo Chronicles"...

Anyone got any advice, expertise, experience to share? My little leprechaun and I would sure be grateful.

4 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

hoping it fixes itself.

RBandRC said...

Lemy had this same issue last weekend and when I started having her really drain each breast at a feeding it resolved itself. Also, I've heard that fenugreek can cause this too. I don't know if you're taking it, I am, so I found it interesting. But by not switching breasts before 2-3 hours that seemed to take care of the problem.

Good luck!!! :)

Martin said...

Thank you for associating my national holiday with excrement!

Couldn't have done that better myself.

(Good luck with that...)

christina(apronstrings) said...

i wouldn't worry about it. a sicky baby is a screamy baby. and ms. maya is content.